Get started with these training tips!
- Book your bike in for a service before you start and ask the consultant to properly adjust the height of your seat to suit you.
- Warm up and cool down at the beginning and each of each ride. And don’t forget to stretch before and after too!
- Wear a suitable cycling kit to ensure comfort. The more you ride, the less uncomfortable it will be.
- Protect your skin and eyes with sunscreen and sunglasses, even if it is cloudy.
- Stay hydrated by drinking small volumes of water regularly.
- Train with other riders to get used to riding comfortably in a group.
If you haven’t been physically active recently, it is advisable to consult your doctor before commencing any training program
Find your Cycle of Giving 8 Week Training Guide here!
The night before
- Lay out your cycling kit, prepare your bike and gather your helmet and gloves
- Check and pump up your tyres
- Pack a repair kit
- Eat a well-rounded dinner
- Get a good night’s sleep
The morning of
- Eat a good breakfast at least two hours before the event – only have foods that you regularly eat to avoid an upset stomach
- Start drinking fluids at least one hour before the event
- Apply sunscreen thoroughly
- Get to the event with enough time to check in, ensure you visit the bathrooms before the ride begins
- Stay hydrated by drinking small volumes of water regularly
- Pace yourself – stop at one of the designated pit stops along the route to rest if needed (there'll be plenty of snacks there too!)
- Be courteous of your fellow riders – follow the event rules and directions given by officials
- Enjoy the ride!
- Continue to drink water, and grab some snacks at the recovery area
- Take a few minutes to stretch out after the ride – your body will thank you for it later!
- Ensure you eat a full meal within the first three hours to replace the energy that you used during your ride
- Celebrate! You did it!